My story as a late blooming artist begins in 2004 in Texas with an origami butterfly class. I decided origami was just too beautiful to stand on a shelf- that it should be worn and enjoyed, and before I knew it, I was designing unique jewelry using origami elements. Amazingly, within two years my work was being sold locally at five different venues, including the Museum of Fine Arts Houston, and Houston Center for Contemporary Craft. There followed teaching origami jewelry classes, giving origami demonstrations, even coverage in the local press!
My origami experience led me to a passion for paper, and a penchant for relief and assemblage. Several studio classes later, I was off and running with a piece in Fuller Craft Museum’s national touring show “The Perfect Fit:Shoes Tell Stories”, closely followed by work in a succession of national and regional group shows.
My favorite project? Illustrating a children’s book I wrote with a series of wall hung “retablos” (three dimensional illustrations)a body of work intended to encourage both Spanish and English speaking children with cancer to deal with their fears, using the spirit of Mexican folk art as a vehicle. It was gifted to Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston, Texas .
Presently, I am exploring the use of discarded books as a sculpture medium.
Last year, my husband and I relocated to Western Massachusetts to be closer to family. I am inspired by the beautiful scenery and phenomenal support the region provides to artists.
- Vassar College. BA , 1966, Poughkeepsie, New York
- Smith College , MSW, 1968, Northampton, Ma.
- Glassell School of Art, Houston, Texas
Juried Group Shows and Exhibitions
- “The Pursuit of Happiness” Assistance League of Houston Celebrates Texas Art 2009, Houston
- “The Pursuit of Happiness” Fuller Craft Museum’s The Perfect FitShoes Tell Stories, Brockton, Ma.
- “The Pursuit of Happiness” National Tour with Fuller Craft’s “The Perfect FitShoes Tell Stories”
Nicolaysen Museum, Casper Wyoming
Albany Institute of History and Art Albany, New York
Kimball Art Center, Park City Utah
Boise Art Museum Boise, Idaho
- ” Spin!” Green Jewelry Show, Juried Green Jewelry Show, 18 Hands Gallery, Houston, Texas
- “Black and White Ball” Juried Green Jewelry Show, 18 Hands Gallery, “People’s Choice”
- “Late Bloomer” Assistance League of Houston Celebrates Texas Art 2012, Houston Texas
- “Cockfight 2012” Materials: Hard and Soft, Greater Denton Art Council, Denton Texas
- “Midsummer Night’s Dreamscape” Collar, Juried Green Jewelry Show 18 Hands Gallery, Houston, Texas, “People’s Choice Award”
- “National Cockfight”, Fuller Craft Museum, Brockton, MA, Biennial Members Show
- “Tales of Ritacita Bonita”, Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston Texas
- “Small Works” Easthampton City Arts, Easthampton, Massachusetts
- American Craft Council Library’s “Vintage Photo Project” online show
- “Monster Arts Project” at MAPS Eastworks, Easthampton, Massachusett
- Hosmer Gallery October 2016 Group Show, Forbes Library, Northampton, Massachusetts
- “Monster Arts Project ll”, October 2016, MAPS Eastworks, Easthampton, Massachusetts
- Monster Arts lll, October 14-November 4, MAPS Eastworks, Easthampton, Massachusetts
- “Migration” November 1-January 2, 2018 installation at Click Workspace, 9 1/2 Market Street, Northampton, Massachusetts
- Paper Jewelry Holiday Sale, December, Click Workspace, 9 1/2 Market Street, Northampton, Massachusetts
“Caught in a Fantasy” # Local Gallery November 10-January 6, 40 Cottage St. Easthampton, Massachusetts
Avant Garde paper necklaces, Holiday Sale, December 14, 5-8 p.m., December 15, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. 2018, Click Workspace, 91/2 Market Street, Northampton, Massachusetts
“Women’s Work” Paper fashion inspired by milestone works, Fall 2019, Click Workspace, 91/2 Market Street, Northampton, Massachusetts